Monday, February 1, 2010

feathers of blue

Strange sight on my way to the library yesterday. As I turned onto 9J a pickup pulled ahead of me. It had a snowplow attachment in front, and in the open bed stood a large fabricated blue horse. I wanted to take a picture but there was no way to organize it while driving, fish the camera out of my bag for starters. The horse was draped, as if for warmth, with a colorful wool serape. It sailed up the road in front of me as we made our way north.

A white van crossed the double lines, zoomed ahead and disappeared from view. A few minutes later the truck with the horse pulled over to the side of the road. I glanced in the mirror and saw why. A police car, lights flashing, sped by. When it passed I thought I'll go ahead of the truck - but he suddenly pulled back onto the road and I found myself in the wrong lane alongside it. I'm glad that error didn't cost me, and fortunately I was able to fall back behind him (there were cars behind me).

I followed the horse for several miles, past the police stop of the speeder, until I turned onto Rectory Road.

Blue horse, blue horse. It reminds me of something - but what? Chagall? (No, Franz Marc.) Carousels - an attorney I used to work for and liked very much collects them, I believe. Blue horse, Blue Stores. Was it even a horse? Maybe it was a donkey!
George, live the dream. If you want that donkey, buy it. You don't want to look back years later and think, 'How different would my life have been if I'd bought that donkey in 1938?' Trust me - I know.

***
P.S. Song on Women of Note last night:
Back in your own backyard
Back where you started from
That bird with feathers of blue
Is waiting for you
You'll find your happiness lies
Back in your own backyard.
Yes, darling!

No comments:

Post a Comment