Thursday, February 18, 2010

they look so familiar

Message from Belle to Barbara, 30 June 2009

Hi Barbara - I love True Blood!!!! I can't wait for season 2 to come out on dvd. Sookie & Bill remind me of when I was 16, head over heels with my first boyfriend. That was 33 years ago. Ironically (and to my disappointment), I recently came to learn that he's been a serial philanderer all his adult life, and all through his marriage - a predatory narcissist, a/k/a vampire. But that's a whole 'nother story. [Ed: wild guess.]

I love the vampire theme (in fiction) when it's very well done. Have you watched the Buffy series? I tore through all 7 or 8 seasons - one of the best series ever, I think. Incredibly well-written (engrossing, witty), psychologically perceptive, and beautifully acted.

Speaking of vampires, last week I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I should be fine - I got treatment early. Yes, & oh gross, unbeknownst to me a tick sucked my blood and infected me (turns out only about 30% of victims ever know that they had a tick). I'm now on antibiotics, which should eradicate it (left untreated it's very bad news). Funnily enough, like a vampire I've been cautioned to avoid direct sunlight - that I'll burn more easily now and must use sunscreen!

To pile things on further (I'm not making this up!) the day after my doctor's visit I picked up a couple of novels that I had reserved days before. I learned from Salon last week that there's a subgenre of supernatural fiction by women, on vampire & werewolf themes, and a couple of the titles sounded intriguing. But they have now taken on a wholly different significance for me - Bitten, and Sunshine!

That's all for now. We just had a humongous thunderstorm roll through - wind and rain was blowing in from all the exposures, so I had to race around shutting all the windows. We get some doozies here.

I'd love to keep in touch. Please tell me what's been going on in your life, work and your life outside of work.

I'll let you know how I like Saving Grace! Love, Belle

***
image via language is a virus dot com, I kid you not

No comments:

Post a Comment