Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday Afternoon

What we seek is a delightfully diverse, safe, healthy and just world, with clean water, air, soil and power, that is economically, equitably, ecologically, and elegantly enjoyed.
-William McDonough

All day long this snow day there has been a delightful diversity of birds at the feeders outside the kitchen window: more than one variety of woodpecker at the suet, cardinals, sparrows, nuthatches, and small glossy blackbirds whose name I don't know. I took a nap on the floor and woke up refreshed. Am sipping a cup of chamomile tea with lemon and honey. The music streaming off the stereo all day and night - I have taken to sleeping in the solarium these nights just to be with it - not so restful perhaps, but restorative in such rich, delightful ways otherwise. I drift asleep in one song and wake in another, and always I recognize me then you, and I hear my name and I can't believe it, am I dreaming? yes and no. I feel as though I am enjoying the sound of my name for the first time in my life. Most people I've ever met have always said oh what a pretty name - after I had to explain it to them (work, that). And here incredible musicians and angelic choruses are saying my name, shortened now to two syllables - Jola - yoh-lah, yohlah. My pen moves across the page, channeling my mind, and the pellet stove blazes and blows. On the settee Claire is sleeping next to her man, The Man with the Magic Jacket, who's snoozing himself. Bread is in the oven. Let me go lift the lid.



No comments:

Post a Comment