Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tinsel

Was at the library this morning, my mind too full of jumbled thoughts of Marvell, Dickinson, and petty Fate. (I don't believe it's Fate who's the culprit - it's the Puritans.)

Heading up Clinton I thought, what will I do, what will I do? And just then I saw on the frozen ground beneath a Norway maple, a green cardboard scrap, in script.

Faith, it read.

Have a little faith. I have to keep reminding myself.

And sometimes I need reminding.

On Warren Street early that Sunday morning there on the sidewalk was a tiny paper Christmas bulb, and a step away, an even tinier snowflake. I stooped to pick them up. There was a pretty cellophane candy wrapper too, but it was Sunday, so I left it there. Postage for your card, and glue in the first drawer I pulled.

No comments:

Post a Comment