Thursday, March 3, 2011

My dearest, I was in a bit of an anxious state this morning, the speeding ticket weighing on me a little, not the specific fact of it, just the feeling of things having gotten uncomfortably out of control - out of my control. Add to that that the house needs vacuuming yet again, a heel bottom from a pair of loafers that I like to wear around the house came off, and that the house - for months now - has been infested with a particular kind of insect, and I have resorted to - in passing, throughout the day - picking them off one by one. It's just awful. If I had a paranoid state of mind I could imagine that they're actually spycams of some sort, in insect form. Well, why not that sort of biological warfare? These bugs - see, the word "bug," as in bugging a place - are a little uncanny. There's always at least one about, on a wall by me, on top of my drinking glass, on the desklamp shade - as if, in fact, observing me. It's just unpleasant is all, as one of Walter's strumpets might say. (Actually - they never say that - they enjoy his attentions. Ain't we beasts?, one of his favorites sighs. No, beasts don't do that, is his straightfaced reply.)

Oh but darling, after that preamble - the Walter bit cheered me up - your darling is actually in fine spirits this crepuscular hour. Dinner is set up downstairs - flounder ready to fry, a small pot of rice set to go, broccoli on the mark to steam, lemon halved to spend in glorious copious shower, another ready to be introduced into dijon-infused melted butter, mingled juices moltening into a hot lubricious drizzle and as if with a triumphal cry of "ah ah ah, oh spunk" coming in tremendous tremulous spurts atop the creamy fleshed fish.

Ahhhhh. Merci, Pierre Franey.

My darling, so anyway my mood got cheered up - I hate to say it, but with a bit of shopping (I'm mindful, dear Branwell, that that is perhaps the last thing you wish to hear, esp. from me). But I am setting to trying to spruce up my wardrobe, a spring cleaning or refurbishing to coincide with my sojourn downriver "next month." And darling - I did great! I was in sore need of new panties, yes panties, and I found really nice ones, just my size and just right - not too plain and not too ridiculous - marked down two-thirds. And a cute, comfortable pair of shoes that I can wear around the house - for $15. Nine pairs of dainties and a pair of shoes - $40.

Darling, you see - I economize where it matters least, in my mind. Because for me the necessities of life are such things as verbena soap, dry pink wine, and multi-grain bread which - if I can get it at a discount - I can even afford to bestow upon some really sweet, neglected geese.

Love you, darling. Thinking of you very much, hope all is well with you. Very many kisses. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment