Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm sorry to be so scarce. I'm having a hard time emotionally, I don't know what's hitting me, a confluence of - reality check, most likely. I am the lamest or weirdest NY tourist ever. Well, I did live here for many years, so it's not as though I'm required to play tourist. I probably "should" have gotten myself out to museums, but didn't feel inspired to. The Charles Burchfield show at the Whitney was sort of calling me, but I couldn't justify $18, plus another $4.50 for the subway. I could have gone tonight (pay what you wish Fridays after 6) and most of the week thought that's what I'd do. But here it is 5:15 and I'm freshly showered after a day at the beach and sipping rose so, no, I won't be going.

What I have done the last couple of days is take the G train to Hoyt-Schermerhorn, the A to Far Rockaway, changed at Broad Channel for the Shuttle to Beach 116th Street, emerged from the station and walked up a honky-tonk street to the corner to catch the Q22 bus with the same hard-ass woman driver each of the 4 times I took the bus over the last two days, over to Riis Park, a magnificent Atlantic oceanfront beach, part of the National Parks Service "Gateway National Recreation Area."
Do you go to Riis Park?
You'll have to get off at 149.
Is that Riis Park?
Lady.
Look, I've forgotten - it's my first time in years.
The Q35 goes all through Riis.
Oh so I should wait for the Q35?
No, I go to Riis Park.

This morning:
Going to Riis Park again?
Yeah.


Ride, ride, ride, through Belle Harbor, reminiscent of certain San Francisco neighborhoods, visually, that is - demographically, not at all, Beach 122, 132, 139, 145.... I get up and stand at the front of the bus, by the driver.
She sails right past Beach 149 - Riis Park. Oh shit.

I'm sorry I guess I should have rung the bell.
WHAT???!!! You wanted to get off?
Yeah, sorry, I spaced off - my bad.
WHAT DID YOU SAY?
I SAID, SORRY, I SPACED OFF - MY BAD.

And the driver starts laughing. (Phew.) Maybe it was the Buffyesque "my bad."
She slams on the brakes and careers the bus to the side of the desolate highway.
I get off at Beach 150. Actually slightly more convenient.

That's all for now, whoever darlings are out there. Kisses. Hope all's well.

No comments:

Post a Comment