Friday, September 3, 2010

Hello darling. Ensconced in a downstate aerie, very hot tonight but it's supposed to cool off tomorrow. I have my little comforts & necessities that make me feel settled in and right at home. It's funny how a few small details make it. Stopped by Grand Central on the drive in to get my favorite French camembert - I nabbed the very last one on this very busy Friday evening, all the young professionals milling about the brighly lit gourmet emporium. Then I crossed "Lexington Passage" and stopped into a shop for lemon verbena soap. Then we zipped downtown to Balthazar in Soho for fresh bread before heading over the Manhattan Bridge, which ended up being genius because I think even with the pitstops it ended up being quicker than taking the Brooklyn Bridge. D's headed back upstate already.

The a/c's on, I've got an icefilled glass, and I figured out the KZE livestreaming. The cat has already come out to say hi, I've topped off her water and given her fresh wet food. I've made up the bed with sheets from home, and have fixed a plate of dinner, also from home: chicken that I roasted this morning, fingerling potatoes (so amazingly flavorful), butternut squash.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself in the city yet. Bought a Time Out, which I'll look at in bed or in the morning over coffee, to see what's going on around town. I'd like to check out a place called Poets House in Lower Manhattan. Also the other day someone linked to something or other about an exhibit at the NY Society Library, which I've never heard of before (which surprises me a little that I haven't, considering how long I lived here, and my literary interests). It's an exhibit of manuscripts, letters, memorabilia, and the like of an author whom I haven't even read, Shirley Hazzard, who wrote a novel that I have heard of, The Transit of Venus. It's been on my reading list for probably thirty years - so perhaps the exhibit will be a "way in" to read it.

Not feeling very poetical tonight at all, dearest, just tired, glad to be here - or at least not to be in transit, especially not the Deegan/FDR portions which induce a form of Tourette's in me - involuntary screams, gasps, swearing, rapid mood swings, from conversing calmly on a subject to a sudden yelp. Poor D. He's used to it - but if you and I are ever on such a road together, darling - consider yourself warned. Loved the signage as we got on the FDR: "New Traffic Pattern." Not New and Improved, mind you - just "new" - some new nightmare. Then a portable flashing traffic message sign - all I caught was "When It's Raining Thank You." Poetry in Motion! Though at the same time - glad it wasn't raining.

Love you, darling. Hope you're having a nice evening. Wish you were here. Many kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment