Sunday, September 12, 2010

I can see the Arnolfini cedars are dancing

December 27, 2009: Last night I stood in the kitchen and watched the two cedar deodoras we planted some 20 years ago dance in the high wind. These so-called "dwarf" cedars have now cleared the brownstone rooflines. They were so animated in the windy night. Their wide, sturdy lower branches intertwine all the way up, but at the top they're new and narrow. Individual longer branches are like arms, appearing to tirelessly, determinedly reach out for the other, a ceaseless dance, aided by the wind, to come together, to touch, to grab hold. I think that their desire to join must help to spur their lateral growth. The trees reminded me very much of the Arnolfini portrait, a mated pair, deeply in love and holding hands. I know they will succeed, take hold of one another as they have with lower branches, but I do wonder - how tall in the end will these trees, which are native to the Himalayas, get?

***

***
July 2, 2010: Now I really feel that I'm back. AA Bondy is on with his beautiful I Can See the Pines are Dancing. I haven't heard it in ages but here I am. In December, after nightfall, you were across the way looking at me as I looked at you and we looked at the cedars dancing.

***

September 5, 2010: Fall is coming and soon windows all over will be shut tight, cedars will dance and reach for one another in rough winds...

No comments:

Post a Comment