Monday, July 12, 2010

Dearest love, very hot here today, 91.5 reads a website. Up in the aerie in my altogether sipping from an icefilled glass. Radio's on low, brain's in a bit of a fog, perhaps from the heat. I've been at low ebb most of the day. Or perhaps just in a reflective mood. I didn't do very much today. Went for a walk this morning but it was already getting hot and I felt achey so I didn't press it. Went to farmstands and the supermarket. Listened to radio. Read more White Heat. Read that Roman Polanski is free - I'm glad. Watered garden. Ran washer. Hung laundry. Put away laundry. For lunch spooned wonderful middle eastern dishes from Sahadi's onto plates. Hummous, baba ghannoush, kalamata olives, lamb-stuffed grape leaves, curried couscous, finely minced parsley greened tabbouleh salad, fresh pita bread. Made a cucumber salad with plain yogurt and fresh dill to go with it. Half a local peach for dessert. Lay down for a bit with my book, tried to fall asleep and couldn't - yesterday's strong iced coffee can't still be the culprit, can it? Peter Gabriel's Power of the Heart came on - beautiful song. I listened to it among the bedsheets. He covers the song - who did it first? All around the world just to bring you back, it was the power of your heart - when I hear that line I think of foreign adoptions. But then he sings, Marry me today, so I don't know. If I could be anywhere but here right now (ruling out being with you, near where I read it's, yes, 39 and overcast), I think I would like to be at the Maine coast, on a rocky cliff overlooking a marine blue sea, ocean breezes cooling and energizing me. Lake Taghkanic park reminded me of Acadia N.P. in Maine - what a beautiful place that is. Have you ever been there? Typing that now I remember after you left for AK your parents invited me up to Maine for a weekend trip. Your mother was a great driver (I mean automobile, but I suppose in an expanded sense as well). That was quite a long drive to Bar Harbor from Stamford. We stopped at a restaurant in New Hampshire that evening and I had the first lobster of my life, and I was flustered and all thumbs about it, but it was delicious and great fun. Later that weekend we stopped by staid and lovely Oberlin College. No, not Oberlin - Bowdoin, of course. I think it was the first campus of its type - small New England college - that I'd ever seen outside of Seventeen collegiate fashion spreads. The light at the tiny cottage in Bar Harbor was clear and golden. It was right on the water. Beautiful time of year to be there, early fall. Warm sun, crisp air, cold at night for cheery wood fires. Many years later, one September, D and I rented a cottage for a week outside Acadia, and I thought of that weekend with your family all those years earlier, and wondered where that cottage was, right on the water, somewhere nearby. Even at that point, in 1976, you were a million miles away, at the start of everything that came after (did you know that then?, yes I think you did), and I was just starting the A.D., and now it's all these years later. Wrinkles in time. I don't really understand it. You're on a beach, I remember a beach, and I dream of a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment