Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lost and Found

Darling, while sitting here in the blazing hot aerie in my near altogether, listening to radio, sipping rosé, wondering what to write and idly surfing the web, I came upon an intriguing, charming, magical bit of news - I think you'll be interested (the story's nicely written too). Time travel, message in a bottle, a blog of sorts from yesteryear - what a find! (As the 12534 would say - Amazon this.) I wish I had the ability to see in stereo - one thing that like Lyle Lovett's One-Eyed Fiona I can't - but I compensate in other ways.

Must be in the 90s and it's very humid. Am about to set the oven to 425 to roast a chicken and potatoes - crikey. Had the car for a bit and on a tip from the neighbor woman (conveyed by D) discovered for the first time a swimming hole a short drive away, a streamside beach at the bottom of a dam and waterfall - spectacular. Kids were splashing around and I inquired and a girl said the water's cold at first and then fine and it's not too deep. It was a little otherworldly, actually, to come on this heavenly scene of old-fashioned bathers and the noisy waterfall behind, a fusion of the idyllic calm of a Winslow Homer maybe, combined with the grandeur of a Fredric Church. I've seen the waterfall many times before - I drive past it on route to the library - but today I viewed it from the opposite bank. I'm reminded of when we first moved here and I marveled at the waterfalls and rushing creeks and dynamic nature all around, and I mentioned to D's nice but occasionally brusque, very practical sister (an E.R. nurse by training) that it reminded me of someplace else, somewhere out west, Montana maybe. And she said, no this place is just what it is, it doesn't have to be anything else, which stopped me completely in my tracks. I suppose she's right - and yet - why not have flights of fancy and imagined associations.

I look forward to taking a dip in that swimming hole, maybe tomorrow if it's still hot. And it will be what it is, me just plunging into cool water by a dramatic old waterfall as if it were the 1850s.

Sending all my love along the wireless.



No comments:

Post a Comment